Friday, May 11, 2012

"In Memory of Sarah"

There was an article in the CrossFit Journal dated May 9, 2012 about a wonderful young lady named Sarah who was 25 years old, a crossfitter, marathoner, and who died of a brain tumor. Her box, CrossFit Catalyst, has dedicated its self to exercise for the benefit of the brain. Most people just think of CrossFit as lifting, throwing, pushing or pulling heavy things and don't even realize the muscle memory and neuro-muscular development that must take place to pull off successful completion of specific movements. Of course, the first to come to mind are the oly lifts which are my favorite. Oly lifts are so fun (when you actually pull it off) but also pretty damn frustrating because there are so complex. On the other end of the CrossFit complexity spectrum, I've also done a WOD where you couldn't call "TIME!" until after you had put together a children's puzzle which was in a dozen pieces on the floor waiting for you. Sometimes CrossFit isn't about breathing hard or lifting heavy objects at all but instead about throwing a ball through the hole in a small tire or having good balance.

Anyway, the article goes on to explain how memory, processing speed, focus and attention can all be improved thanks to the plasticity of the brain. Then it breaks down step by step how to do it. I would link the article here but the CrossFit Journal is a subscription service ($25/year... best money every spent) so you'll probably have to login to be able to read the full article.

Of course upon reading it, I forwarded it to Lauriel and was interested to hear her opinion of the article. It was weird for some reason for me to ask her opinion... I guess it is because I have no perspective here. I had no idea if the steps written in the article were helpful or true. I knew that they made sense to me but I had no idea if for some reason, her opinion would be different because she's actually lived it and experienced it. Upon reading it, Lauriel immediately sent the author of the article, Chris Cooper, an email to introduce herself and her history with this experience, thank him for bringing attention to the subject, and to represent Sarah who will never be forgotten. Lauriel then forwarded me a link to Sarah's Blog.


When I received the link, I was at the barn while my daughter was taking her horseback riding lesson. The next thing I knew, I was sitting in a barn laughing and crying while reading Sarah's story in her own words. What a courageous and  inspiring young woman. Click the link above and get ready to ride a roller coaster of emotion and be inspired. 

At the end of the CrossFit Journal Article, there was a WOD listed that CrossFit Catalyst does in memory of Sarah.

"100 Grand"
10 rounds for time of:
10 box jumps
10 knees-to-elbows
10 tuck jumps
10 squats


Lauriel and I decided that we will remember Sarah by doing her WOD together sometime this month. It will be to honor her and National Brain Tumor Awareness Month. When I do my pull-ups today, I will think of Sarah's strength and determination.

Sarah Grand

No comments:

Post a Comment