Monday, May 30, 2011

Why is CrossFit Better?

A few weeks ago Erin Okonek, Coach for CF oly lifting courses and general all around bad-ass, posted the following on her FaceBook page:
 
“Hey Crossfitters!!! I am about to write an article regarding the reasons that Crossfit is better than other workouts! I have my opinions, but am curious as to everyone else's. Any feedback?”

This was my response to her post:
“I've been thinking about this a bit lately. For me, it isn't about competing, "chasing a rabbit", becoming an athlete, or a firebreather. CF makes me a better mom, employee, wife, and overall a better person. I'm more focused, stronger (mentally and physically), dedicated, and ready to embrace everything that life throws at me because I know I can make it through. Don't get me wrong, I love lifting heavy shit, love to PR, love being faster, and definitely love looking better but it is all a means to make me a better, more confident, well rounded individual. I'll do things now that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing with my kids before I found CF... AND... it takes less time to do CF than it does to do any other "workout" program. To me, that means less time in the gym and more time living my life the way I wan to live it. Good luck with the article and let us know how it turns out!”


The more I thought about it, the more I realized that a lot of my obsession with CrossFit has to do with the relationships that I’ve formed as a result of CrossFit. There’s something amazing about the journey taken together by CrossFitters... We sweat, we share pain, we sometimes bleed, we cry, and occasionally we even carry each other. I’m not saying that we literally pick each other up and carry ourselves around (although in some WODs, we do!) but we “carry” each other. We all have our weaknesses, we all have our insecurities, we all have that “thing” that we’re self concious about. In some weird way, all those “things” have the ability to disappear when we walk into the box if we let them. If you’re ready to embrace your weakness, expose it, and let others “carry” you, your insecurities and weaknesses will disappear. We’re all here to better ourselves in every way, the amazing thing is that we often better each other without even realizing it. While the concept of CrossFit and individual WODs can be done solo in a globo-gym, what sets us apart is the miracle that takes place everytime we hear “3-2-1 Go!”. We work hard for ourselves and often we work harder for those around us. This community has the potential to conquer amazing things when we’re together and improve lives in ways that stretch far beyond imrpoved physical fitness. We actively decide to show up every day to work hard for ourselves AND each other… it is something that simply doesn’t happen in any other workout program.

Below is a photo of Erin doing what she does best (lifting heavy stuff!) after an Oly Seminar at Kitsap CrossFit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment